Two of West Chicago’s oldest buildings are included in this painting. On the right with the green doors stands the former Turner Town Hall, now home to West Chicago City Museum. Built in 1884, this building once housed the police station, fire department, and local government. City Council called this building home until 1975. In 1976, the building opened its doors as a local history museum. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.
The building on the left was once the Ripley House Hotel, built in 1878. Read a great article about this building’s origins here. This building is now home to Gallery 200, a fine art gallery and local artist’s cooperative.